Saturday 27 April 2013

Session 10: Various Things!

It has been a very long time since my last post, but I have finally got back to work (ish). I have placed an order to various places for the parts I need, as listed.

Shaft repair kit and labour for gear-change selector:
http://www.draganfly.co.uk/shop/pd438882497.htm?defaultVariants=%7BEOL%7D&categoryId=815
http://www.draganfly.co.uk/shop/pd-392448569.htm?categoryId=815

Brakelight switch no 31827 (a bit expensive...):
http://www.petersclassicbikeparts.nl/contents/en-us/d267.html

Gear-change lever:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-A50-A65-GEAR-SHIFT-LEVER-40-3073-/330779009456?

Chromed front mudguard stay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M41-6503-3-BSA-C15-SS80-B40-SS90-A50-A65-FRONT-MUDGUARD-STAY-CHROMED-/270822637492?

This came very promptly, and they managed to send us two instead of one, both of which are about a half inch too long. The ebay page lists C15 SS80 in the title, but further down it stops mentioning it, and gives a length, which I hadn't noticed in my haste.
Reassembled selector shaft

The gear selector lever is very good, and fits the shaft nicely.

I reassembled the two pins and springs into the gear selector shaft, ready for reassembly.

A friend of ours, who has had a few C15s, kindly offered us any of his spare parts, before he gave them all away with a bike he was selling. This proved to be a goldmine, as we collected a large number of bits that we either definitely need, or are useful to have.

 A rough list of what we have:
1 x oil tank (flamboyant blue)
1 x alternator windings
2 x oil pump
1 x brake lever
1 x choke lever
2 x centre stand
3 x foot pegs (2 rider, 1 pilion)
1 x speedo
1 x ammeter
1 x rear light lens
1 x piston
1 x conrod
4 x rectifier
1 x headlight reflector
1 x battery mount
1 x curved bit? with original air filter
1 x ignition panel with switch
1 x brake pedal
various bits of forks
various bolts
1 x kickstart spring
1 x gear selector shaft (worn splines)
various rubber bits


I am certain that some more of these bits will come in very handy, especially the speedo, as it goes up to the correct top speed.

As a temporary measure, I thought I would fit one of the centre stands. It will need removing and repainting, but it will make life a lot easier, as the bike is less likely to fall over. I noticed that one of the stands is slightly bent, so that will need rectifying before it gets painted. After a long time of trawling the internet, I finally found an obscure picture that showed me how to fit the stand. The C shaped bracket bolts on to a little bracket on the front of the upright frame tube, with the inside of the C pointing towards the back of the bike. You then hook the spring on to the other end, and onto the hole on the stand itself. The little protruding flange points upwards when folded, but it will become clear, as if the stand is fixed on the wrong way around, it will not fold up horizontally. Then, insert the two pins through the two sides, and insert a split pin through the hole.







2 comments:

  1. Wonderful posts! So were you able to complete the project? I'm restoring a 1965 B40 which is very similar to this one but got the bike in bits so the detailed pics really help.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all stalled (as can be seen from the lack of posts...), but I still aim to finish it at some point. My priority moved towards restoring my 2A Land Rover instead, as I will be able to actually use that (rather than waiting until i'm 24 for a bike licence...), but I have been working on paintwork just this week. Thanks though!

      Delete