Thursday 23 August 2012

Session 7: Primer Etching


The inside finished.


I used coarse grit (about 80) wet and dry to sand away the inside of the cover, which was a lot harder to do than the outside. Not only was there more rust, but the shape of it meant that it was more difficult to sand, but I eventually finished.



The outside finished.



I finished the outside in the previous session.




Using a carefully constructed jig, consisting of some bent wire and an old lawnmower cable, and a guttering, I hung the cover outside. 






The outside sprayed.


I then used spray on primer etcher to coat the whole cover in a thin layer. Due to the slightly addictive nature of spray painting, I may have done it a bit thick.







On the inside, the metal loop caused me some trouble, as I couldn't see underneath it to check it was painted, so I put slightly too much on in that area. There is a small run, but it is on the inside, and can easily be sanded off.



All in all, this has been a successful exercise, and I now know what to do for the other parts that need painting. In September, I will finish this cover, and start on the oil tank.

On a completely unrelated note, I have found a parts supplier. Draganfly Motorcycles appear to sell most of the parts we need, and will probably be our source of parts. they sell a repair kit that exactly suits the gear selector shaft for this bike, which will make life easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment