Saturday 8 September 2012

Session 8: Oil Tank and Battery Cover


Tank before paint stripping


I started sanding the oil tank, but large sections of paint just flaked off, and there was rust underneath some with no visible sign on the surface. I took some advice, and used paint stripper to remove all the paint, to great effect.




The paint just bubbles off
The whole tank bubbling off

Paint stripper is very easy to use; brush on a thin coat, dab on a thicker coat, and scrape the paint off. This removed virtually all of the paint, exposing all the rust.






The front of the tank

The back of the tank


I then sanded off the rust using wet and dry paper, to leave a good finish for painting.







 There appears to have been a brazed repair on the back of the tank, to fix the bolt hole. Also, there is a small D stamped into the protruding bracket, andh a couple of dents to fill.

 

 I then hung it out and primer etched it, using less this time than the battery cover.

  





 I have also sprayed the battery cover with primer filler. I hung it in the same way, and gave the whole thing a thin coat. I then left it to dry, and repeated. It has got a little too cold to carry on now, so I will give it the final few coats tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the nice comment, but I am not sure why I would need an industrial sized oil tank and installation seeing as I have one, that will still be working for my gramdchildren because there is nothing to go wrong. It's a tin. But thanks anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL What is Jackie saying?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie's confused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well..
    oil tank sweep nj

    ReplyDelete
  5. his is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the excellent work.
    nj oil tank removal

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is basic that we read blog entry deliberately. I am as of now done it and find this post is truly stunning. oil tank removal nj

    ReplyDelete